Touring Tasmania, one can’t help but notice that much of the island is untouched; a lush, green natural land. There are not too many signs left that tell of the seventy-five years the island was a British penal colony. Located 125 miles off the eastern tip of mainland Australia, Tasmania has four distinct seasons.
Due to cheaper air fares, and three new Spirit of Tasmania ferries, the island is fast becoming a popular vacation spot. The diversity of wildlife and climate attracts fisherman to skiers and hikers.
Much of Tasmania’s turnaround has to do with the success of the Federal Group, who took a chance on the island and opened several hotels and two casinos.
- Strahan Village has a holiday package to meet everyone’s needs. Located on Tasmania’s west shore, on the tranquil bay, Macquarie Harbor, Strahan’s 141 deluxe rooms pay tribute to the surrounding seashore and rainforest. Three different types of accommodations are available:
- Waterfront Executive Suites
- Harbor View Suites, set atop a hillside.
- Strahan Village Cottages, which include: individual spa cottages, executive spa suites, or terrace accommodations.
- Freycinet Lodge is located on Tasmania’s east coast, offering white sandy beaches, pink granite mountains and copious Tasmanian wildlife. The cottages at Freycinet Lodge offer a rustic experience without losing any conventional comforts. The restaurant at the lodge serves fresh, locally raised grass-fed beef and lamb, hearty game meat and superb local seafood, including oysters, crayfish and scallops.
- Cradle Mountain Chateau is located in the Tasmanian alpine wilderness. All 60 ground level rooms, including standard, king spa, and deluxe split-level suites with sunken lounge, have glass sliding doors that open out onto a deck for wildlife viewing. Drinks can be nursed at the Bushtails Bar while waiting for a fresh trout dinner at the a la carte restaurant The Grey Gum.
- The Wrest Point Hotel Casino was Australia’s first legal casino; opening in 1973. Located in Tasmania’s capital city, the 17 story hotel tower is an identifiable city landmark, and Hobart’s tallest building. The revitalization of the state and booming tourist industry in Tasmania today, are attributed to the opening of the Wrest Point Hotel Casino.
- The Country Club Resort is located in Launceston, in the northern part of the state. The resort offers gaming machines, table games, 18-hole golf course, driving range, horseback riding, trout fishing, health club, 5 restaurants and 6 different types of accommodations.